Whether raising a concern, saying thank you or making a complaint, there are many ways to share your feedback with us.

Last updated: 25 January 2021

Share quick, anonymous feedback

The Friends and Family Test is a national scheme which encourages patients to tell us and other patients what they think about the care they receive.

Find out how to share feedback through the Friends and Family Test.

How to raise a concern or make a complaint

We know that a visit to hospital can be stressful, and it's important that you tell us as soon as possible about any concerns that you may have regarding your visit, or that of a relative.

Most concerns can be resolved by talking to:

  • the staff directly involved in your care
  • the person in charge of the ward or department

If you don’t feel able to speak about your concerns to staff directly, you can get in touch with our patient advice and liaison service (PALS) team.

Concerns, complaints, compliments GHPI1398


If you feel your concerns cannot be resolved by our PALS team, or you would prefer to make a complaint, you can do this by emailing ghn-tr.complaints.team@nhs.net or by writing to us at:

Complaints team
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
Great Western Road

You can also call us on 0300 422 5777 Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. We are not open on Bank Holidays.

After we receive your complaint

We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint by email or in writing.

We aim to investigate and draft a response to your complaint within 35 working days and once the response has been agreed by everyone involved in the investigation it is sent to the Chief Executive for final sign off.

If for some reason we cannot achieve this, we will keep you informed and explain why.

All complaints should be made within 12 months of the episode you are unhappy about.

If you are writing on behalf of the patient, please note that their consent will be required. In the case of a complaint regarding a deceased patient, please contact the complaints team for advice.

Support with a complaint

If English is not your first language

Please speak to the staff on the Ward or in the department you are in. They will be able to arrange face to face or telephone interpretation for you.

Alternatively please contact the PALS team on 0800 019 3282.

Free independent support with your complaint

POhWER provide independent advocacy services to help resolve issues or concerns you may have about your health and well-being or your health and social care services. They can be contacted by:

Email: glosadvocacy@pohwer.net

Telephone: 0300 003 1162 (charged at local rate)

Website: www.pohwer.net

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)

If you have been through the complaints process and remain unhappy with the response you have the right to ask the PHSO to review your case. You can contact the PHSO by:

  • visiting the Ombudsman website
  • calling the helpline on 0345 015 4033
  • by writing to The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP

The PHSO expects the Trust and complainants to have made all reasonable attempts to resolve outstanding issues before they will take any action.

Share positive feedback

If you would like to tell us when something has gone well, you can:

  • speak personally to the member of staff providing your care and treatment
  • contact PALS who can pass your comment on to the member of staff or teams involved.

Annual complaints report 2018/2019

In accordance with the NHS Complaints Regulations (2009) the annual complaints report sets out a detailed analysis of the number and nature of complaints received by the Trust during the 2018/19 year.

The Best Care For Everyone